Africa Faith & Justice Network (AFJN) educates and advocates for a transformation of U.S. policies toward Africa. For over 32 years, we have successfully challenged U.S. military, agriculture, healthcare, and humanitarian policies. AFJN works extensively to advocate, partner, and improve coalitions within groups in Washington, DC to improve US policies toward Africa and her people.
Inspired by the Catholic social teachings, AFJN seeks to enhance the notion of the common good, dignity for African peoples, and solidarity with the poor and oppressed. Our current large campaign is an effort to conduct and promote civic advocacy training through the grassroots and the Church in Africa: improving governance on the ground is the ultimate way forward for the disempowered. Connected to governance is the epidemic of land grabs, another key focus issue.
AFJN is seeking a Development Associate to raise operational and project funds to sustain and strengthen the organization. The Development Associate works with and reports to the Executive Director. This is a position for someone who enjoys a small office environment and is interested in African issues.
- Collaborate with the AFJN Executive Director and Development Committee of the Board to develop and implement an annual fundraising plan for AFJN, including but not limited to: direct mail and online fundraising, bringing in corporate donors, social media expansion, sourcing new foundation grants
- Research and prepare grant proposals for foundations and complete timely project reports
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with foundations and major donors
- Plan and direct special fundraising events
- Assist in maintaining the quality of content on AFJN’s website
- Cultivate media contacts and expand AFJN’s press presence
- Maintain donor database by processing dues, sending renewal letters, and keeping contact information current
- Assist the Executive Director in developing communications materials
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Earned at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 3+ years of experience in professional non-profit development and communications
- Demonstrated ability and energy to successfully implement 21st century fundraising techniques for a culturally and religiously diverse audience.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Commitment to social justice and peace in Africa as well as an understanding and interest in AFJN’s mission and purpose.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision to complete tasks and projects in an organized fashion.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Windows OS.
- Knowledge of WordPress and eTapestry or Blackbaud software a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel for AFJN activities, conferences, and meetings.
- Ability and professionalism to represent the organization at meetings and events.
AFJN offers employees fully-paid benefits. Salary is negotiable based on experience.
Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line: Development Associate by COB September 14, 2015